BuzzNutrition comment: I got this recipe from my Mom… neither of us have tried these… I’m wary of eating the PODS of fava beans. They’re so sturdy and packed with what looks like styrofoam made by fairies. If you try them, please post a comment and I’ll do the same.
- 1 pound fresh fava beans in their pods, the younger & smaller the better
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon picked rosemary
- 3 to 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to finish
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 lemon
- 7 or 8 canned anchovies in oil, chopped finely
- 1 handful toasted bread crumbs (optional)
- Mix first 7 ingredients together in a large bowl. Toss to coat the fava pods, then place them on the grill over medium-high heat.
- Grill favas for several minutes, until charred, then flip them over and char the other side, cooking until the pods seem about to open.
- Remove pods from grill, return them to the mixing bowl, and squeeze the lemon over them. Toss the pods to coat. Check the seasoning, and add salt if necessary.
- Add the anchovies to the bowl, mixing well.
- Place the pods on a serving platter, drizzle to taste with olive oil, and sprinkle the bread crumbs on top, if using. Serve hot or at room temperature; eat with your hands or with forks and knives, depending on how messy you want to get.