Healthy Granola Bar Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cups flax seed
- 1/4 cup sesame seed
- 1 cup chopped almonds (optional: any other kind of nuts, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup organic local honey
- 4 tablespoons butters or coconut oil
- 1 cup dried cranberries (optional: other chopped dried fruits or dark chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine the rolled oats, flax seeds, sesame seed, and almonds. Spread them evenly on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Toast for about 15-30 minutes until golden. Be sure to stir occasionally so it doesn’t burn.
- In a large bowl, put vanilla, honey & butter/coconut oil. Heat over very low heat until slightly liquid. Combine.
- In a large bowl, combine sea salt, coconut, cinnamon, and dried cranberries.
- When the oat mixture is finished toasting, add it to the coconut mixture and stir.
- Add honey mixture and stir.
- Line a 9″ x 13″ baking pan with waxed paper. Spread the mixture in the baking pan and press to create a smooth surface. Place another piece of waxed paper on top and press down tightly until it’s even.
- Place pan in refrigerator for at least 2 hours to cool completely. Use a knife to cut into bars.
Low Fat Granola Bars with Bananas, Cranberries & Pecans
- 3 1/2 cup oats
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped pecans
- 3 large, ripe bananas
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9- by 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, with about 1 inch of parchment paper overlapping the sides.
- Spread out the oats and chopped pecans on a baking sheet. Place in the oven until they are lightly toasted, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas with the back of a fork. Stir in applesauce until combined.
- Transfer the oats and pecans to a large bowl and stir in dried cranberries, flax seed, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Stir the banana mixture into the oat mixture until well combined and starting to clump together. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and press down evenly.
- Bake until the bars are golden brown and starting to separate from sides of the pan, about 30 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Use the parchment paper to lift the bars out of the pan. Let cool to room temperature, then cut into bars.
- Serve or store in an airtight container.