Hype abounds because it sells. Luckily, the hype around CBD is legit. But, unfortunately, CBD is shrouded by ignominy because some think it’s the same as marijuana (not that that’s a bad thing!)
CBD could be a Game Changer for people in physical or psychological pain.
What is CBD?
- CBD stands for cannabidiol, which is one of more than 100 compounds in a class called cannabinoids. THC is another cannabinoid.
- CBD supplements can be sourced from hemp or marijuana. Federal law stipulates that any CBD product must contain <0.3% THC.
- CBD oil is not the same as hemp oil.
- Phytocannabinoids are found in plants, endocannabinoids are made by the body.
- Most studies have been done on CBD, but other cannabinoids & terpenes have proven to have health benefits as well.
- As with other herbs, the plant confers benefits that isolated components cannot.
Will CBD get you high?
- THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) is the compound in marijuana that causes a high. It is not physically addictive.
- CBD is a completely different compound than THC and will not get you high.
- Both CBD and THC are “psychoactive.” Since CBD can have positive effects on mental health issue, it is literally psychoactive. But it is not intoxicating.
- CBD products may smell like marijuana if they are full-spectrum extracts, but that’s because of compounds called terpenes, which do not have psychedelic effects.
- Both marijuana and hemp are hybrids of a plant called Cannabis sativa.
- The CBD and THC found in these plants are exactly the same molecule, but marijuana and hemp have significantly different amounts of each.
- Personal note: I’m clarifying that CBD is not the same as marijuana, but that doesn’t mean that marijuana is bad. I personally believe that marijuana and hemp are both very effective and beneficial medicinal herbs that should be accessible to everyone.
What can CBD do?
- CBD has a variety of impacts on the body
- Analgesic (pain-reducing), Neuroprotective, Calming/Sedating, Anti-inflammatory, Anti-emetic (anti-nausea), Anti-spasmodic, Anti-epileptic, Antidepressant, Antianxiety, Antimicrobial, Anti-insomnia, Anti-proliferative (r/t cancer), Antipsychotic, Bone stimulant, Immunosuppressive, Vasorelaxant and more
- CBD may positively impact a wide array of health conditions:
- **This is not a health claim!
- My statements made about CBD, hemp and marijuana have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The efficacy of these products has not been confirmed by FDA-approved research. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. All information presented here is not meant as a substitute for or alternative to information from health care practitioners. Please consult your health care professional about potential interactions or other possible complications before using any product. The Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act requires this notice.
- Chronic pain, neuropathy, anxiety, depression, arthritis, IBS, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, cancer, glaucoma, diabetes/insulin resistance, epilepsy/ seizures, heart disease, stroke/traumatic brain injury, migraines, nausea, skin conditions (acne, psoriasis, eczema), sleep issues (insomnia, narcolepsy), autism, anorexia, ALS, MS, Parkinson’s, antibiotic-resistant infections (Lyme), PMS + anything else caused by inflammation or an overactive immune response.
- **This is not a health claim!
- Generally, CBD balances the stress response, which reduces inflammation.
- Research articles on CBD by condition at CBDOrigin.com
- Research articles on CBD by condition at ProjectCBD.com
- Research articles on CBD by condition at Realm of Caring
- Explanation of cannabinoid receptors
- More about terpenes (another compound in full-spectrum CBD products): www.steephill.com/science/terpenes
How does CBD work?
- All cannabinoids interface with the Endocannabinoid System, which maintains balance among the body’s other systems (cardiovascular, respiratory, digestive, integumentary, nervous, elimination, musculoskeletal, immune, reproductive & endocrine).
- CBD is special because it interacts with the other body systems, too.
- Research is being done on “Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency” as potential cause of some disease.
How to choose a CBD supplement?
- Choose full-spectrum or isolate.
- Full-Spectrum is a whole-plant extract, isolate only contains CBD.
- Choose the delivery form best for you
- Oil/tincture, capsule, vaporizing liquid, lotion/salve, suppository, patch, nasal spray)
- Choose a legitimate brand:
- Provides transparent testing records, uses safe extraction process and does not use harmful additives (such as propylene glycol in vaping liquid).
Resources for legitimate CBD products:
- A dedicated group on Reddit set up a thorough vetting system (https://www.reddit.com/r/CBD/comments/5tvoz1/where_to_buy_cbd_companies_with_high_morals_and/).
- This group has also identified these BAD BRANDS (find detail in sidebar at above link): Diamond CBD, Omega Labs, Just Chill, Medical Marijuana Inc and Kannaway.
- CBDOilUsers.com has reviewed some CBD companies (https://www.cbdoilusers.com/cbd-oil-reviews/).
- Recommended by Anne at BuzzNutrition because of personal experience:
- Lazarus Naturals, Bluebird Botanicals, Green Mountain, Nu-Leaf Naturals
- *Lazarus Naturals offers a significant discount to Veterans and those with disabilities: Lazarus Naturals Assistance Program.
- About extraction methods:
- Pros and cons of extraction techniques: https://elixinolcbd.com/blogs/buyers-guide/16641671-pros-and-cons-of-hemp-oil-extraction-techniques
- Extraction methods from ProjectCBD.com: (https://www.projectcbd.org/guidance/cannabis-oil-extraction
How to use CBD?
- Partner with an informed practitioner to determine a CBD strategy (see below for sample dosing schedules).
- Symptoms of too much CBD: dry mouth, low blood pressure, dizziness.
- If symptoms flare, decrease dose.
- “Start low, go slow.” Take 2-3 times per day for consistent blood levels.
- **Take CBD 2 hours away from medications & consult with your doctor.
- CBD is biphasic. If a low dose is good, more is not better. (Think: Goldilocks)
- Dosing is highly individualized and can change over time.
- **Take CBD 2 hours away from prescription drugs because it can interfere with the Cytochrome P450 enzymes in the liver.
- These enzymes disassemble the drug. If this process is slowed, the drug’s effectiveness will change.
- This is especially important for blood thinners, chemotherapy and time-released drugs.
- P450 Drug Interaction Table from Indiana University’s School of Medicine. But still, please consult with your doctor!
- Good summary article about cytochrome P450 from NursingLink.
- Sample dosing strategy for tincture:
- Start with dose of 10mg per day (5mg in AM, 5mg in PM) and increase by 5mg every 3 days until symptoms improve.
- If negative symptoms arise, back down the dose.
- If drowsiness occurs, keep in mind it could be good!
- Symptoms of too much CBD: dry mouth, low blood pressure, dizziness, lightheadedness.
- **Take CBD 2 hours away from prescription drugs.
- Here’s a tool to help determine dosing: CBD Dosage Calculator
- Scroll to the bottom of the page for more detailed dosing schedules.
Is CBD a magic solution?
- CBD is part of a full-spectrum of health-promoting strategies:
- Anti-inflammatory diet, resolution of nutrient deficiency, hydration, sleep, movement, massage, mindfulness techniques, detoxification, exposure to nature, involvement in community…
- For someone experiencing a medical condition, even small changes can be paralyzing.
- CBD may soften the barrier between how someone feels and how they’d like to feel. It helps balance the body and encourages it to use its own resources more efficiently.
- Supplements that provide general support to the body:
- Omega 3 fatty acids
- Raw material required for body to make endocannabinoids
- 1g/day with 3:1 ratio of DHA to EPA + ~3 servings of fatty fish/week (Opti DHA by Douglas Labs)
- Multivitamin (PureGenomics or O.N.E., both by Pure Encapsulations)
- Probiotics (variety of options: 25 Billion, 40 Billion, 50 Billion, 500 billion, Gummies, Biocidin spore forming, Florophage multiplier)
- Omega 3 fatty acids
- The action of any supplement is enhanced by:
- Clean water
- Non-inflammatory diet
- Resolution of nutrient deficiencies
- Mindfulness techniques
- Exposure to nature
- Involvement in community
- Physical touch
- I cobbled these three pictures together
- Hemp plants by ukagriculture @ www.flickr.com/photos/48631399@N07/36354012583 via www.photopin.com (see license; taken by UK College of Agriculture, Food and Environment on Sept 9, 2017; “Over 200 people attended the 2017 UK Industrial Hemp Field Day held at the UK North Farm.”