Neurofeedback Frequently Asked Questions
Who can benefit from NFT?
- Anyone with a brain, aged 0 – 150!
- NFT is FDA-certified for stress relief.
- Since many conditions are caused/made worse by stress, NFT may help with:
- Sleep problems
- Anxiety/depression, ambivalence, irritability
- ADD/ADHD and Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Impaired memory and “brain fog”
- Chronic disease (Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Type II Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome, Autoimmune Disease…)
- Food cravings, binge eating
- Mood swings, road rage, destructive relationships
- Trouble concentrating, reading a book or meditating
- Athletes who want to get in the Zone and stay there
- Artists and musicians who want to enhance their creativity
- Meditators who want to enhance their practice
- Non-meditators who want to meditate
How often should I do NFT?
- Like going to the gym, the more often & consistently you train, the more rapid the results.
- Frequency depends on schedule and finances.
- Most visit their neurofeedback trainer once a week. But, it’s okay to train more often (ex. twice a week, once a day or even twice a day).
How long until I get benefits from NFT?
- Some can feel a shift after 1 session, but for most it takes 5-6.
- Permanent neuroplastic changes typically occur after 10-20 sessions.
Are there any side effects from NFT?
- Rare reports of feeling slightly “revved up” may occur when an individual brain decides to change a lot at once & the person is unaccustomed to such enhanced brain capacity.
- Better sleep is the most often reported “side effect”.
Is NFT changing my brain? Is it making me a zombie?
- The particular technology used at BuzzNutrition lets your brain decide what it wants to do. It does not force it to change.
- Sensors on your head are “out only” and do not transmit any information into your brain.
- NeurOptimal uses negative reinforcement rather than positive reinforcement, which leaves room for decision making.
- The brain is “discouraged” by static in music when it makes brainwaves that go outside a range of stable brain frequencies, aka. “no-stress zone”. But it doesn’t change unless it decides to.
- Other systems “reward” the brain for reaching a specific pre-determined brain frequency. All brains like rewards, so this makes it more likely to change when maybe it shouldn’t.
- The reward system is problematic because not all brains are the same. Your brain may not be quite ready to jump into a particular frequency quite yet.
- Furthermore, other systems rely on the practitioner to pick the frequency. These practitioners are highly professional and capable, but no one knows your brain better than… your brain.
Where’s the research?
- Collection of studies at NeurOptimal’s site: https://neuroptimal.com/research/
- Study: “The Effect of EEG Biofeedback on Reducing Postcancer Cognitive Impairment”
- More to come!