No? Did I get that wrong? Second favorite food, then?
What? You hate liver? Come on, now– hate is a pretty strong word…
Really?! Well, I’m sure you haven’t tried this amazing recipe. Just give it one more shot!
Liver is good for you!
- Contains cholesterol & saturated fat, which every part of the body needs!
- Provides fat-soluble vitamins that are hard to find in other foods, even other animal products.
- Is not the garbage pail of the animal– everyone always asks me that, even when we’re talking about hockey or the weather. It always comes up. I always answer: “Kinda?” The liver is a filter for toxins, so yes, there are gonna be toxins in there. But, at the moment in time that an animal compassionately killed, it presumably has the same number of toxins as any other moment in its life. So, as long as you’re choosing a liver from an animal who has not been pumped full of antibiotics and hormones and has been slaughtered correctly, the good outweighs the bad.
Check out how beef liver stands up to beef, kale and blueberries! (Source: ChrisKresser.com; please open in a new window to make it bigger and readable!)
So, are you ready to go for it? This is a recipe that will make your tastebuds as happy as your brain.
- Optional: Soak liver overnight in lemon juice or milk to remove toxins. Rinse & pat it with a paper towel, then toss the paper in the compost.
- Mix together 1/8 cup coconut flour, a dash of salt and some ground spices (cumin, curry powder, whatever you like). Put it on a plate.
- Chop your liver up into 1″ chunks (easiest with kitchen scissors).
- Heat some coconut oil and/or butter and/or lard in a big pan (over medium or so).
- Dredge the liver pieces in the flour. Make sure all the liver is covered in delicious powdery flavor.
- Toss the liver in (you’ll have left-over flour mixture- throw that away) and cook until you like it. Some like their liver raw in the middle, others like it overcooked. You may need to add more fat to the pan as you go.
If you try this recipe, please let me know what you think!