A few notes from BuzzNutrition:
- Not only is chai delicious & warming, its spices are medicinal!
- Cinnamon and ginger are anti-inflammatory & generate heat in the body
- If you choose not to drink animal milk, swap in coconut milk… In fact, why don’t you do that anyway? It’s much healthier…
- Chai means tea… so when one says “chai tea”, they’re saying “tea tea”. Of course it’s okay to say whatever you want! 🙂
- 4 cups water
- 2 inches fresh peeled ginger
- 2 cinnamon stocks
- 4 cardamom pods
- 12 whole peppercorns
- 12 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 star anise
- 1 black tea bag (Ceylon/Darjeeling)
- 2 cups milk (cow or coconut)
- 1 tbsp sweetener (honey, brown sugar)
- Heat water in a medium pot.
- In a food processor or with a mortar and pestle & some elbow grease, grind up the ginger, cinnamon, cardamom pods, whole peppercorns, whole cloves and star anise.
- Add spices to water and let steep for 5-10 minutes on low heat.
- Using a thin slotted strainer or cheese cloth, pour the water into another bowl and discard the spices. Pour the spiced water back into the pan and add the tea bag. Let steep for another 5 minutes.
- Remove tea bag; add milk, honey and brown sugar. Let heat for 2 minutes, then serve.