A few months ago, my parents decided to get a pet… then they decided to get 1,000 of them. Their bees are a’buzz in their hives, diligently making my parents a bucket full of honey.
Beyond adding a delicious touch of sweetness to a frothy mug of hot cocoa or bowl of oatmeal, honey has incredible medicinal properties. Check them out!
1) Raw honey feeds your good gut bacteria: increases the number of Lactobacillus acidophilus and Lactobacillus plantarum counts 10-100 fold compared with sucrose.
2) Honey fights “bad” bacteria: dissolves the biofilm (barrier that bacteria hide behind) made by MRSA (a really aggressive bacteria that’s resistant to antibiotics).
3) Honey Kills Dental Plaque-Causing Bacteria: Manuka honey, a special honey produced by the flowers of the manuka plant that grows in New Zealand and Australia, was shown at least as effective as the chemical chlorhexidine gluconate, often used in mouthwash, in reducing plaque formation as a mouthwash.
4) Honey Kills Herpes better than drugs: A 2004 study published in the Medical Science Monitor, showed that topical honey was far superior to the drug acyclovir (trade name Zovirax) in treating both labial (lip) and genital herpes lesion.
5) Honey Protects Against Gastric Damage: Honey has been shown to prevent alcohol-, indomethacin- (a NSAID pain-killer) and aspirin-induced lesions.