Healthy Homemade Popsicles
BuzzNutrition Commentary: Supermarket popsicles are also known as frozen toxin sticks. They usually contain high fructose corn syrup, food colorings and preservatives. If Star Wars were set in your grocery store freezer, Darth Vader would fight with a Popsicle Saber from the supermarket, whereas Luke Skywalker would use a homemade one.
If these treats are for adults, consider adding a dash of rum. This will change the consistency since alcohol doesn’t freeze hard like water. But you can always enjoy it as a slushie!
Every homemade popsicle recipe has a few basic ingredients: fruit (or veggies), sugar, and water. Many recipes get an added flavor boost from extras like salt, chili, herbs (like mint or basil), and lemon or lime juice for an extra zing.
Summer Strawberry Popsicles
- 4 cups of fresh strawberries (Preferably organic and not gigantic supermarket frankenberries)
- 1/8 cup of sweetener
- 2-4 tablespoons of fresh-squeezed lemon juice (to taste)
- 1/2 cup of fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup of water
- Toss all ingredients into the blender and flip the switch. You want to create something that is smoothie-like in texture, for the richest, most flavorful popsicle. Your mixture should be just thin enough to pour, but not too thin so that it has a runny, watery consistency. Adding water to the point of a “runny” consistency will thin your concoction, which will yield a larger batch of blander popsicles.
- Pour to the top of each mold, and don’t spill. Make sure to wipe up any spills on the molds or tray before you put the tray into the freezer.
- Freeze for 2-3 hours.
- When your popsicles are completely frozen, you will be able to tell by pulling on the stick. If the stick comes out by itself, your popsicle is not completely frozen. If the stick stays fast, your popsicle is frozen. When your popsicles are ready to eat, run hot water from the tap over the tip of the mold for about 1 minute. After 30-seconds to a minute of the hot water treatment, your mouth-wateringly delicious popsicle should pop right out with a little tug. Enjoy!